Thursday, October 9, 2014

My new protein laden diet

When I'm not running, I like to read about running. Mostly, I am concerned about a running injury, which all runners seem to get at one time or another. One of the things that can help prevent injury, is eating a ridiculous amount of protein. According to this article, I need about 66 grams of protein. There are a lot of articles that report similar numbers.

I've been trying to figure out ways to conveniently increase my protein intake, basically not disrupting the normal flow of dinner time. For me, this has meant that I try and make sure my snacks all have protein (or chocolate, but that's just because I like chocolate - and I particularly like chocolate in the middle of the day when I get bored at my desk).

For a while, I was eating Greek Yogurt from the farmer's market at my desk, but they stopped producing the full fat version, and I'm not particularly fond of light yogurt. I turned to nuts and oatmeal for a while, and occasionally I would just eat a boiled egg.

But recently, I've settled on a new source of protein in the middle of the day - Petite Creme. Stonyfield sent me a box to try, and in the name of product research, I quickly devoured two of them.


It is somehow different from yogurt. It tastes exactly the same to me. I'm getting a walloping 10 grams of protein with each container I consume. That's a pretty good chunk of my recommended grams of protein!

My kids would not eat most of these - because they have actual chunks of fruit in them, which have not been whipped or blended or made to somehow disappear. This is good for me. It means they'll keep their paws off my snack!


Elaine

I received the above Petite Cremes from Stonyfield. I have since purchased my own, and will continue to do so until I get bored with them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment