Sunday, November 24, 2013

NaBloPoMo: Thirty Acts of Love: Day 24. Moms Run This Town

My fitness goal for next year is to run a half marathon, and I'm hoping to do it in 8 minute miles. This is a ridiculously crazy goal for me, because not only have I never run this far, I have never run even close to this fast. My longest timed run, to date, was back in 2004 when I ran 7 miles in the Topeka Tinman Triathlon. My fastest run that was officially timed was a 5K back in May when I ran 8:43 minute miles.

After deciding my first attempt at a half marathon would be the Rock and Roll half in March, I spent a while trying to figure out how I was going to meet my goal. A friend of mine who is an ultramarathoner volunteered to pace me which has been extremely motivating. I DO NOT want him to give up a morning for me if I am not prepared. I think I owe him that much.

I decided I needed to do two things to get faster and be able to run farther. First, I needed better motivation to run regularly. I will not be able to run 13.1 miles without a significant amount of training. Sadly, I am finding it very difficult to motivate myself.

Second, I decided I needed to figure out what stride I will use. I recently read Born to Run, which makes me fearful of my classic heel-toe stride. However, I have ultimately decided that I'm going to stick with the shoes I bought last Spring and hope that I don't injure myself. I will be devastated if I train and get hurt and can't run in March.

I think I have also solved my motivation problem. Last March when Ed and I completed the St. Pat's Day 8K, I saw several women wearing "Moms Run This Town" shirts, which I thought was an incredibly clever name for a running group. As it turns out, there are chapters of this group all over the area, including one in Alexandria / Arlington which has several members within a few blocks of me. Last Friday, I joined 7 members at the high school track a few blocks away at 5:45 and ran 4 miles. On Saturday, another member of the group met me at 6:00 AM, took me on a 4.5 mile run, running 8 minute miles the whole way. Both times, the women I have been with have been an amazing source of support.

I'm starting to believe I'm going to meet my goal. And I already love these women who pass me on the track with their words of encouragement, and give me that extra bit of motivation to get out there and train.

Elaine

Day 1. The All Night Sewing Spree
Day 2. Package from a Friend
Day 3. For the Love of the Game
Day 4. Always There
Day 5. Ups and Downs
Day 6. Siblings
Day 7. Football and Money
Day 8. Theater
Day 9. Young Friends
Day 10. Playing Catch
Day 11. The Ugly Scarf
Day 12. I Love You
Day 13. Every Row

Day 14. You Look Good
Day 15. Fried Food and Friends
Day 16. Indoor Camping
Day 17. The Small Stuff
Day 18. Miami
Day 19. Minecraft 
Day 21. Attended Stephen Kellogg's All Love, Future's Bright tour. No post - but much love.
Day 22. The Playground
Day 23. Dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment